Through the Swamp, or Chapter 3: Through the Swamp, is the third "level", or chapter, of Soul Reaver 2. It followed Raziel in the Pre-Blood Omen era as he explored the Swamp, uncovered the secrets of the Dark Forge, and encountered Vorador and the Elder God. The chapter opened with Raziel emerging in the Swamp, and concluded with him returning to the mysterious sealed opening at the Great Southern Lake.
- Name: Chapter 3 - Through the Swamp
- Classification: Soul Reaver 2 chapters
- Game: Soul Reaver 2
- Protagonist • Raziel
- Objectives: • Explore the Swamp • Confront Vorador • Enter the Dark Forge • Return the Sun Disk to the forge altar area and redirect light to create an eclipse • Imbue the Dark Reaver • Return to the Light Forge
- Setpieces: • The Swamp • The Dark Forge • The Subterranean Ruins (The Subterranean Pillars Chamber) • The Pillars of Nosgoth (The Pillars • The Shrine) • The Great Southern Lake
- Era: • The pre-Blood Omen era
- Timeline: • The second timeline
- Objects: • The Sun Disk • The Dark Reaver
- Preceded by: Decision at the Pillars
- Followed by: The Light Forge (chapter)
Raziel emerged from the caverns of the Subterranean Ruins into the dense canopy of the Swamp. Surveying his surroundings he recognized a long abandoned Time-streaming chamber and caught a brief glimpse of the being who had been observing him since he emerged from the Sarafan Stronghold - the vampire Vorador - watching him from a high balcony. Searching through the Swamp for a way to reach the area, Raziel found a passage into the mountains which was too high to reach, before finding his way to the high terrace, with Vorador now nowhere to be seen.[SR2][SR2-C2][SR2-C3]
Investigating the ruins behind, Raziel found that they were sealed to all but the bearer of the Reaver and that the building itself was apparently built by the blue winged race. Inside he found murals once again depicting the ancient war Before Nosgoth's recorded history and imagery relating to both the Reaver and the elemental principle of Darkness. Realizing that the building was built as a Dark Forge, Raziel completed the puzzle of the forge and thus imbued the Wraith Blade with elemental darkness - creating the Dark Reaver.[SR2][SR2-C3]
Recognizing he had seen the symbol of elemental darkness before in the Great Southern Lake, Raziel elected to return to the lake and investigate the structure there, but before he could progress he was interrupted by Vorador outside the Dark forge. Curious about Raziel, Vorador quizzed him on his appearance and his actions in this era, perhaps hinting at prophetic roles associated with the corruption of the Pillars, but soon realized that Raziel was ignorant of any such destiny. Resigning himself, Vorador lamented how his unheeded advice had led to the creation of Vampire hunters which now had the vampires nearly eliminated. Deriding the the murals as "fairy tales", Vorador revealed that the ancient race had dwindled until only one - Vorador's creator Janos Audron - remained, apparently awaiting the arrival of Raziel and the completion of the ancient prophecies, but he had been murdered by the Sarafan five centuries earlier and they had also stolen the Reaver. Reflecting that they were all "out of luck", Vorador teleported away.[SR2][SR2-C3]
Reflecting on Vorador's words and deciding that Janos Audron was crucial to his journey of revelations, Raziel resolved to infiltrate the Sarafan Stronghold again and make use of Moebius's Time-streaming chambers within; however with his passage blocked he would need to find a way to open the doors of the stronghold to reach them. Believing he would find a way in the Great Southern Lake's mysterious shrine, Raziel returned there after briefly debating the truth of the ancient race with the disapproving Elder God in the Subterranean Pillars Chamber. Finally reaching the lake, Raziel was able to use the Dark Reaver to unseal the door and enter the ancient forge within.[SR2][SR2-C3]
Raziel began inside a darkened room in the Swamp having just climbed up from the Subterranean Ruins. Initially he could collect one of the Torches from the room and continue north out to the first Swamp clearing, where he would activate a checkpoint and encounter a Vampire hunter swordsman. Defeating the swordsman Raziel could reach the entrance to the time streaming chamber on the opposite wall and attract the attention of a Vampire hunter pikeman. Evading or defeating the hunters, Raziel could head out of the clearing using a passage to the northeast and follow the trail as it curved to the south, using the platforms to jump across the muddy swamp water which would slow his progress.[SR2][SR2-C3]
Passing through the rusted door and catching Vorador watching from a high balcony, Raziel was able to pass further along the trail, jumping between platforms and fallen ruins to avoid the swamp water and battle three more hunters as the trail turned in a wide arc to the north again below a circular ruin. Following the trail to a second large clearing, Raziel could reach a Save altar to the east and dry land. Following the wide trail northward, Raziel could enter a third longer clearing where two hunters and an attack dog awaited.[SR2][SR2-C3]
Defeating or evading them, Raziel would comment on the fallen tree to the north then it was necessary to turn to the southwest corner of the clearing where a swordsman guarded a scalable wall in the side of a ruin. Defeating the hunter, Raziel could climb the ruins and jump down the other side, attacking or evading the canoneer waiting on the ledge and dropping down to dispatch the two pikemen on ground level, before following the trail as it rose steeply and headed back towards the south. Following the southern trail and jumping up to the raised ledge, it was finally possible for Raziel to reach the top-level terrace balcony where Vorador had been. Passing along the balcony (without disturbing the crows) and heading north to the checkpoint, Raziel could use the Wraith Blade to open the sealed door into the Dark Forge.[SR2][SR2-C3]
After entering the forge Raziel could follow the corridor as it turned west, confronting his first Swordsman Thrall at the end of the corridor in front of an Emblem door. Defeating the thrall allowed Raziel to pick up the Emblem key it carried and place it into the door, opening the way into the wider forge. Following the corridor as it turned to the north Raziel came across a gate barring entry and requiring him to shift into the Spectral Realm and Phase through the barrier to progress. Upon entering the open chamber beyond Raziel would be attacked by several Sluagh which he could battle or evade before pushing northward through the archway into a wider chamber with a collapsed bridge and an unusually marked sun door ahead.[SR2-C3]
Turning to the opening in the east flanked by two torches, Raziel could descend down a small staircase to a high room containing a disk marked with the same unusual pattern at the top level - here he could use a planar portal to return to the Material Realm. Returning to the first open chamber Raziel would be ambushed by four thralls before he could climb the nearby Scalable walls and reach the top balconies of the chamber. Surveying the murals and following the balconies back to the north, Raziel would be confronted by a Sorcerer thrall firing projectiles before he approached the fallen bridge on the top level. Jumping and gliding across and using the broken parts of the bridge, Raziel was able to reach the top level opening above the sun door and enter the darkened activation chamber beyond.[SR2-C3] From here Raziel could choose from two routes to complete and activate the forge:
- Rotating the Reflector in the middle of the chamber to face the eastern doorway shined Sunlight onto the doorway, opening it and allowing Raziel to pass beyond. Following the corridor east, Raziel would be confronted by three thralls before the passage turned north and was blocked by a gate. Shifting to spectral, Raziel could continue onward as the corridor turned east at a Fire brazier and opened into a wide courtyard with a tree at the center. Jumping onto the raised platform at the east end of the room Raziel was able to switch back to the Material Realm at the planar portal and after evading or dispatching the thralls that ambushed he was able to then climb the walls on the north and south of the chamber to reach higher platforms. From here Raziel could jump and glide to the platform in the branches of the tree at the center and switch back into spectral - causing the tree to morph up to a higher position. From this vantage point it was possible to glide to the high opening in the east and continue down the corridor there. Reaching the small corner room with the planar portal, Raziel would be ambushed by a shield-carrying swordsman thrall and blocked in by a grate descending behind him. Defeating the thrall to recover his emblem key, Raziel could use the artifact on the emblem door in the northern wall and open his way to progress. Passing through the narrow corridor opened led into the eclipse room beyond, where four obelisks were placed around a central platform containing a large rotatable reflector, with four sun-like symbols on the walls. Firing a Reaver bolt at the Reaver symbol on the ceiling opening a hatch which allowed a light-beam to stream down onto the central reflector. By pushing the southwestern obelisk (marked with the rings and eclipse symbol) north to the center of the platform and rotating the reflector so it shined on the western 'total eclipse' symbol cast a shadow pointing at the symbol, causing it to dissolve into a circular passage way. By climbing on the piece of broken obelisk in the northwest, Raziel could then crouch-jump to the top of the obelisk and then glide to the opening, following it through to the top level of the earlier higher chamber; where he was able to reach and obtain the Sun Disk artifact. Jumping down, Raziel could then return to the bottom sun-marked door of the activation chamber - which opened automatically with the presence of the Sun Disk - and place the artifact in the holder in the alcove at the far north of the activation chamber.[SR2-C3]
- Rotating the Reflector in the middle of the chamber to face the western doorway shined Sunlight onto the doorway, opening it and allowing Raziel to pass to a gate which forced Raziel into spectral to phase through and progress beyond. From here Raziel could ascend up a small staircase to a reflector and follow the passage as it turned to the north and opened out into a wider two-leveled room 'Reflector room'. Dropping down into the bottom chamber Raziel was ambushed by three Sluagh and could either kill or evade them before following the walls of the chamber around the back of the center construction to a planar portal where he could shift back into the material realm. Once he shifted and returned to the open chamber Raziel would be confronted by several thralls including two sorcerers and it was necessary to dispatch them before attempting to climb back up the scaling wall in the south. When Raziel reached the top he could rotate the first reflector so that it shined a light-beam across the top of the chamber toward the large reflector at top of the northern end, and by moving the nearby (decorated and ring bearing) western obelisk so it obstructed the beam caused the obelsik to cast a show across the room, allowing Raziel to walk on the shadow bridge across to the top of the northern part of the chamber where another large reflector awaited with four circular markings surrounding it. Aiming and firing a Reaver-bolt at the hatch in the ceiling blast open the hatch allowing another light beam to stream down onto the large reflector in the center of the platform. Rotating the reflector so it faced the eastern 'circular claw' marked opening cast the light beam in that direction, opening the circular passage to the room beyond which could be reached by crouch-jumping. Descending from here down a small staircase led to the 'Sundial room'; where a large sundial dominated the center of the room with reflectors on the ceiling and a hole in the floor at the 12 o'clock position. Rotating the fin of the dial twice clockwise (to the three o'clock position) moved the reflector on the ceiling to and angle to bounce the light from the previous room so it streamed directly down the hole in the floor and by jumping down Raziel could reach the far northern alcove in the activation chamber below.[SR2-C3]
With both the Sun Disk in place and the light beam shining on its holder caused the light to be reflected into the activation chamber where it was obstructed and eclipsed by a moon construction, casting a shadow on the forge altar and activating the forge. Approaching the altar Raziel could use the elemental Darkness within to imbue a new Wraith Blade enhancement:[SR2-C3]
- The Dark Reaver: "Once infused with the power of Darkness, the Reaver can open Dark Reaver doors and grants Raziel two new abilities. He can now blind Sentry eyes, which you will soon encounter, with a Dark Reaver bolt. He can also activate Shadow bridges at specific points to create temporary energy bridges between two areas."
Using the Dark Reaver on the new Darkness- attuned sealed door at the south of the room allowed Raziel to exit the chamber into the central forge area where he could backtrack to the south, dispatching thralls if necessary, passing through the now lowered gate into the entrance passages and exiting the forge using the Dark Reaver to unseal the main door, which then permanently resealed behind him.[SR2-C3]
After exiting the Dark Forge and conversing with Vorador, Raziel could now begin to head back to the Great Southern Lake armed with the Dark Reaver. Heading southwest from the terraced balcony, Raziel could jump down to the first clearing in the swamp, taking care of any hunters along the way and return to the building in the south, where he could jump down back into the Subterranean Ruins.[SR2][SR2-C3]
Following the tunnel south, Raziel could Swim underwater down through the the ascending chamber, following the crystals until he reached the statue room and from here he could surface and climb the scaleable wall in the southeast. Dispatching any shades encountered, Raziel could jump back along the ledges to the southwest until he was able to jump back into the water and swim through to the Subterranean Pillars Chamber. Surfacing and saving at the northern altar room, Raziel would again converse with the Elder God before leaving the chamber and heading up the stairway to the south. Following the stairs west back upto the cavernous area and dispatching the shades present, Raziel could continue to follow the passage as it jinked north then returned west into the intial cavern of the ruins and follow the narrow northern passage to the doorway leading back to the Pillars area, and jumping back up through the wide terrace area and the narrow twisting passage, Raziel was able to drop down into the Pillar clearing itself.[SR2][SR2-C3]
Passing the Pillars and heading south to the battlement entrance, Raziel could follow the path south dispatching any hunters present and follow the trail as it curved west to the top bridge of the Shrine area. Dropping down, heading south and battling or evading the hunters, Raziel could continue south to jump down the waterfall to the Shrine itself and follow the trail east to the initial bridge into the Shrine area. Following the trail back eastwards, Raziel could dispatch further hunters and pass back through the stone arch, heading east before turning south into the Great Southern Lake area.[SR2][SR2-C3]
Heading along the western bank, Raziel could reach the Save altar outside the Sarafan Stronghold before jumping into the lake and swimming to the underwater gate in the southeast. Swimming through, Raziel could surface in the inner lake area and activate the checkpoint on the small island to the northeast as well as re-imbuing the Dark Reaver at the font if necessary, before heading to the island with the sealed door in the south. Using the Dark Reaver on this door, Raziel was able to enter the Light Forge.[SR2][SR2-C3]
Players (in order of appearance)Edit
- Raziel (voiced by Michael Bell) and Raziel in Voiceover/Soliloquy
- Vorador (voiced by Paul Lukather)
- The Elder God (voiced by Tony Jay)
|[Raziel emerges from the underwater labyrinth into the Swamp for the first time –]|
|Raziel (V.O.):||I surfaced into a very different landscape – the daylight barely penetrated the dense canopy of this forest.|
Here I discovered an ancient ruin – unmistakably one of Moebius's time-streaming chambers, but long-ago sealed and abandoned to the encroaching swamp.
I didn't currently possess the means to break this seal – but I thought, in time, that I might.
|[Raziel wheels around upon hearing something disturb a flock of crows. He sees Vorador silently watching him from the parapet of the towering ruins behind him.]|
|Raziel (V.O.):||So, my lurking observer was exposed.|
The creature vanished when he realized he was discovered – but I caught a glimpse of him, and his features were distinctive enough.
This was the vampire Vorador – the monstrous assassin depicted in the Stronghold.
Strange that a creature brazen enough to assault the Circle single-handedly would avoid confronting me.
Very well – if Vorador would not come to me, I would go to him. But first I needed to find some means of reaching that terrace.
|[Raziel discovers the passage into the northern mountains, but realizes it is currently blocked.]|
|Raziel (V.O.):||There appeared to be a passage here, leading northward into the mountains.|
The opening, however, was obstructed, and too high for me to reach.
Perhaps later I would find the means to bypass these obstacles.
|[Raziel reaches the Dark Forge entrance –]|
|Raziel (V.O.):||My lurking friend was nowhere to be seen, but I found these ruins even more intriguing.|
I recognized these arcane symbols from the chamber beneath the Pillars, and realized that this shrine, too, was sealed to all but the bearer of the Reaver.
Dialogue: The Dark ForgeEdit
|Raziel (V.O.):||Throughout this ancient shrine, murals depicted the winged race, and the apocalyptic war against their mysterious – and equally inhuman – adversaries. These winged beings, it seemed, were not only the architects of the Pillars but of this enigmatic place, as well. And just as in the Pillars chamber, this shrine was adorned throughout with imagery of the Reaver – depicted with the reverence of a holy icon.|
|[Raziel forges the Reaver with Darkness.]|
|Raziel (V.O.):||As I neared the altar I suddenly felt the Reaver quickening of its own volition.|
Just as in William's chapel, the balance of power tangibly shifted – voracious and willful, the Soul Reaver was now in control, and I, merely its helpless puppet.
The Reaver plunged itself into that mysterious altar – and devouring the energy that emanated from within, drained this place of its power.
Thus sated, the Reaver released me. And I realized, as I recovered control, that these ancient shrines were forges, each purpose-built to enhance the Reaver with elemental power.
|[Raziel describes the elemental fonts.]|
|Raziel (V.O.):||Now I understood the purpose of the mysterious basins I had seen throughout my journey.|
They were elemental fonts, each attuned to a fundamental essence.
When I forged the blade, every font in Nosgoth with the same elemental attunement was simultaneously quickened.
The Reaver's enhancements were never permanent, but these fonts enabled me to re-imbue the blade by bathing it in the elemental energy distilled therein.
|[Raziel sees the Dark symbol.]|
|Raziel (V.O.):||Concentric circles, one eclipsing the other...|
I recognized this symbol from the door sealing that other ancient shrine – the one I had seen in the lake, outside the Sarafan Stronghold.
Perhaps now, armed as I was with the elemental power of darkness, I could return and gain entry.
Dark Chronicle: The Vampire VoradorEdit
|[As Raziel exits the Dark Forge, he comes face to face with Vorador – the ancient vampire leans casually against a column at the Forge's entrance, apparently waiting for Raziel to emerge.]|
|Vorador:||You're a ragged excuse for a savior.|
|Vorador:||I see my reputation precedes me.|
All good, I hope.
(Vorador begins to walk slowly around Raziel as he speaks, examining him. He studies Raziel's cloven hands – so like his own – his blue skin, his ragged wings. Raziel stands still and allows Vorador to look him over.)
I've been watching you since you emerged from that accursed stronghold.
Strange that your arrival coincides with the corruption of the Pillars.
But I'm wondering – are you the catalyst of these events, or the answer to them?
I don't know what you mean.
|Vorador:||I will speak plainly, then.|
I distrust your origins, stranger. Seeing you crawl from the putrid depths of Moebius's Keep makes me question your purpose here.
And what should I make of your appearance? Not human, clearly – and more demon than vampire.
And the Pillars – it is no mere coincidence that your arrival in that clearing heralded the Pillars' decay.
And so I ask you plainly: are you the instrument of the Pillars' destruction, or their salvation?
Very well, let us look at the other side of the coin –
I have followed your journey, and watched as you blithely unlocked secrets that have been sealed and forbidden for thousands of years.
The path you have been treading is open to only one being...
(Vorador trails off, as he realizes –)
You don't know what you are, do you?
|Raziel:||I have been many things...|
If you find me ignorant, enlighten me.
|[Vorador simply laughs, and turns away in disgust.]|
|Vorador:||What's the point- this world is beyond redemption.|
Let the human cattle have it.
|Raziel:||I would expect better than meek capitulation from you.|
|Vorador:||Centuries of persecution have taught me well.|
500 years ago, our race was nearly exterminated by the fanatical crusades of the Sarafan.
And now the same sick drama unfolds again. In merely a decade, Moebius's cutthroat citizen army has nearly accomplished what the Sarafan could not.
(then, to himself)
Vampires meddling in the affairs of men...
Look where it has brought us.
|[Raziel considers for a moment, then asks –]|
|Raziel:||What am I to make of these secrets I've uncovered, then? The depictions of the winged race, the Pillars, and the Reaver?|
|[Vorador turns back to Raziel as he responds –]|
|Vorador:||Fairy tales, boy.|
The delusions of an ancient culture, clinging to hope long after the world had discarded them.
Their bloodline trickled away, until only one of the Ancients remained – sustained solely by obligation and his unfaltering faith in the old prophesies.
|[Vorador strides closer to Raziel as he speaks, until they are face to face.]|
|Vorador:||But you see, even if you are who you appear to be, it no longer matters...|
You're simply too late.
Janos Audron – the Reaver Guardian, the last of the Ancients, and my maker – was murdered by the Sarafan nearly five centuries ago.
He alone would have the answers you seek, but his secrets died with him.
I don't know how you've come even this far without his guidance – or without the Reaver, stolen these 500 years ago by the Sarafan.
I am afraid, my friend, that you – and all of us – are out of luck.
|[Vorador vanishes, leaving Raziel alone on the terrace.]|
|[Raziel walks to the edge of the terrace and looks out at the swamp.]|
|Raziel (V.O.):||I had no less reason to trust Vorador than anyone else I had met. In fact, the ancient vampire was the most forthright being I had encountered thus far.|
If Janos Audron was the key to all this, then I would find him.
And Moebius's time-streaming device would provide me passage.
But first I had to find a way back into the Stronghold... and I suspected I would find the means within the lake's mysterious shrine.
Dark Chronicle: The Elder's WarningEdit
|[After having met the vampire Vorador, unearthed the secrets of the Dark Forge, and discovered more about the ancient architects of the Pillars, Raziel revisits the Elder God in the subterranean Pillars chamber.]|
|Elder God:||Ah, my wayward child returns...|
|Raziel:||Having unearthed more than you'd like, I suspect.|
What am I to make of these ruins that litter the land, and these images here in this chamber?
|Elder God:||Merely the deceits of a failed civilization.|
You are being misled, Raziel.
This ancient race hoped to manipulate the future with these scrawled misdirections.
You must tread carefully. There are dark forces at work in this world, bent on subverting your true destiny.
|Raziel:||I have no doubt of that. The question is: am I in their presence right now?|
|Elder God:||Your arrogance will spell your demise, Raziel. Deny my will, and the arc of your destiny will reach a sudden conclusion.|
|Raziel:||Your threats are unmoving. Even now I'm beyond your reach.|
My reach is longer than you realize.
This is a very dangerous game you're playing, Raziel...
- Raziel has discovered one of Moebius's Time-streaming chambers in the Swamp, however it is sealed shut by a cracked door. He has also discovered a passage into the Nosgoth's northern mountains, but this is too high to reach.[SR2-C3]
- Raziel has discovered the Dark Forge and within it discovered more evidence of the ancient war and the reverence for the Reaver held by the winged race which constructed the Pillars of Nosgoth.[SR2-C2][SR2-C3]
- Raziel has solved the puzzles of the forge and discovered that the forge was designed to imbue the Reaver with elemental Darkness, creating the Dark Reaver. Once imbued, all Darkness-oriented Reaver fonts become active allowing Raziel to re-imbue the Reaver with this element at any time when it is lost.[SR2-C3]The fonts activated here will remain activated in the Post-Blood Omen era[SR2-C5][SR2-C6][SR2-C7] and even remain active when Raziel goes back to Nosgoth's early history.[SR2-C7][SR2-C8][SR2-C9]. Once exited the forge seals permanently and cannot be re-entered, even in time periods before it was opened.[SR2][SR2-C3][SR2-C5][SR2-C7][SR2-C9]
- Raziel has discovered that the hidden observer watching him through the presence of unusual crows is the vampire Vorador who appears to recognize Raziel as some kind of messianic figure, but shows some mistrust, apparently unsure of his allegiance and intentions.[SR2-C3]
- Vorador believes the vampire race is close to extinction at the hands of Vampire hunters and denounces the ancient prophecies as "fairy tales", however he does reveal that the last of the ancient winged race was his sire Janos Audron and intimates that such as messianic figure as Raziel would require the Reaver and the guidance of Janos.[SR2-C3][BO1-C11][BO1-C2][BO1-C7]
- Raziel recognises the symbol of the Dark Reaver from the mysterious opening at the Great Southern Lake and so has returned there to discover more.[SR2-C3][SR2-C1]
The Swamp area is given some extra details on the (former) official Soul Reaver 2 site, where it is again named as "The Swamp" and it is noted that:
During the development of Soul Reaver 2 it was planned for areas higher in the Swamp to be playable. The ruins themselves were featured prominently in Bonus materials of the Swamp area with concept art depicting at least one area taking place on high platforms among the trees (somewhat resembling the ewok village in Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi) and developers would subsequently confirm that a tree-top village populated by Vampires was intended to feature at some point in the story along with a deleted cutscene which would show them treating Raziel with suspicion, telling him that "he was not one of them". It is not known when the scene would have featured in the story, but it is known that the scene was apparently only added after the cutscene featuring the Female vampire was axed from the end of A Reaver in Time/ beginning of Decision at the Pillars due to general disagreements within the team about the role other vampires would play - the village scene was itself cut for the same reasons as its predecessor; with the dialogue deemed imperfect and the role of the vampires in the story questioned.
The cutscene itself was cut and is not present in the files of Soul Reaver 2, with the tree-top platforms also entirely absent from the in-game area. The high ruins in the swamp hide the few playable remains of this section that were presumably intended to lead to up to the village (possibly in Nosgoth's early history or an earlier period judging by the condition of the ruins). With the use of cheats or hacks to fly (or glide) the high ruins can be explored and stood on as regular platforms, revealing a number of potential routes across the higher levels of the Swamp - many of these are however blocked or otherwise impossible to navigate, appearing to rely on later abilities such as the 'hookshot' of the Spirit Reaver .[SR2]
- Soul Reaver 2 is not formally divided into chapters or levels in-game.[SR2] The chapter names and definitions used at the Legacy of Kain Wiki originate from the supplementary Prima Guide, Prima's Official Strategy Guide - Soul Reaver 2
- The dialogue transcripts used in this article are, wherever possible, adapted directly from the Dark Chronicle summary transcripts available in game. Scenes not included in the Dark Chronicle feature are instead adapted from Tenaya's transcript of Soul Reaver 2 at Nosgothic Realm - itself derived from the Dark Chronicle and an official game script provided by Crystal Dynamics' Kyle Mannerberg.[SR2]
- The Dark Forge features a unique weapon variant design that is found exclusively within that forge, in this case a unique staff design which functions the same as other two handed weapons. This trend is repeated in later Soul Reaver 2 forges.[SR2-C3][SR2]
- This chapter features the return of the Swamp terrain last seen Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (where is was notably used in the Termogent Forest area).[BO1][BO1-C6] The effects of the Swamp on Raziel are somewhat different to those experienced by Kain, with the shallow water causing Raziel to wade slowly through instead of proceeding at normal pace. Several methods were available to overcome this handicap, most obviously by avoiding the water altogether and jumping between the small islands. Once Raziel gained and equipped the Air Reaver in later chapters, the effect of the swampy terrain was negated and Raziel could progress as normal. The wading effect of the swamp had no effect on combat, with Raziel able to use combos, dodge and lunge as usual.[SR2][SR2-C6]
- Several Animal species can be observed in the Swamp, with appearances by Vorador's crows in both the Pre-Blood Omen era and Nosgoth's early history. Several Frogs are also visible throughout the all three eras.[SR2][SR2-C3]
- Several cutscenes in the Dark forge will play out in slightly different fashion depending on the components of the puzzle completed at that stage (so a puzzle with a light beam, reflector and block will play out differently depending upon which parts are completed first.) The routes through the dark forge are also interchangeable, meaning that either route (Sun disk or reflector/light beam) can be completed first.[SR2-C3][SR2]
- Through the Swamp marks the formal introduction of the Dark forge as a playable location in the Pre-Blood Omen era - the area cannot be entered before this time as Raziel has not yet reached the location, or revisited after this time as the forge seals itself shut.[SR2-C3][SR2] The facade of the forge is still visible and bears the 'completed forge' seal design in both the Post-Blood Omen era[SR2-C5][SR2-C7][SR2] and Nosgoth's early history, despite the latter taking place several centuries before Raziel even entered the forge.[SR2-C7][SR2-C9][SR2] The Dark forge does not recur in later titles, though a different Dark Forge is encountered within the Vampire Citadel in Legacy of Kain: Defiance.[DEF][DEF-C4][DEF-C7][DEF-C9]
- Upon completion of the Dark Forge, Raziel's Health coil increases capacity.[SR2-C3]
- Through the Swamp is home one of the series most infamous bugs, as disturbing the crows outside the entrance to the Dark forge could cause the forge door to remain closed at the end, preventing Raziel from exiting when the forge was complete. Referencing this bug, a later temporary placeholder texture in Legacy of Kain: Defiance read "Dont' scare the crows" during development of the title, although it was removed before the retail version - a similar placeholder reading "hide the marmosets" did survive into the retail version of Defiance however.[SR2-C3]
- Some aspects of this sequence relate to other chapters in the series:
- The Swamp area itself bears many features which reference the similar environment seen in the Termogent Forest in Chapter 6 of Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, with the forest and swamp terrain, ruined battlements and Ignis Fatuus all observed in the Blood Omen area similar positioning on maps and the and the presence of Vorador himself also suggest that his mansion is nearby. Despite these similarities the Swamp is never addressed using any title other than the "Swamp" and does not appear to occupy the same position on maps, with the Termogent Forest area appearing to be directly north of the identified Swamp area. The Dark Forge appears to be at the border between the two locations and may occupy the raised area seen south of the forest in Blood Omen[SR2][SR2-C3][BO1][BO1-C6]
- Raziel's recognition of both the time streaming chamber and Vorador relate to his arrival in the Circle's gathering-room in A Reaver in Time, which had its own time-streaming chambers and carried demonized illustrations of Vorador - despite these depictions Raziel ultimately reflects that Vorador was "the most forthright being [he] had encountered so far".[SR2-C3][SR2-C1]
- Raziel comments on Vorador's Slaughter of the Circle, originally shown in Welcome to Hell and Vorador's Mansion (chapter) of Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain and illustrated in murals in the Circle's gathering-room of the Sarafan Stronghold as seen in Soul Reaver 2 chapter A Reaver in Time. Both Raziel and Vorador indirectly reference the event in their conversation.[SR2-C3][BO1-C1][BO1-C6][SR2-C1]
- Murals illustrating the period Before Nosgoth's recorded history were first seen in the previous chapter - Through the Swamp effectively follows up on some of these, re-iterating the ancient Vampire-Hylden war and the Genesis of the Pillars. It also continues to show the Reaver as a holy icon and hints at a prophetic role for the one wielding it.[SR2-C3][SR2-C2]
- The Dark Reaver is the first elemental alteration of the Wraith Blade since Raziel gained the Fire Reaver in the Fire Forge within Raziel's Clan Territory in Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. [SR1-Misc] The fact that he no longer possesses the Fire Reaver at the start of Soul Reaver 2 may indicate that he never canonically obtains it, or perhaps loses the enhancement when the Wraith Blade is altered in the Chapel incident in A Reaver in Time.[SR2-C3][SR1][SR1-Misc][SR2][SR2-C1]
- Vorador mention's Raziel's escape from the Sarafan Stronghold as seen in A Reaver in Time and his observation of Raziel since this point as hinted throughout the previous chapters.[SR2-C3][SR2-C1][SR2-C2]
- Vorador mentions the Corruption of the Pillars, recalling the events of Welcome to Hell and Seeking Revenge of Blood Omen, where the causes of the Pillars corruption - Ariel's murder and Nupraptor's subsequent madness - were first seen and described. Raziel witnessed the corruption personally in the previous chapter[SR2-C3][BO1-C1][BO1-C2][SR2-C2]
- Vorador mentions the Vampire purge of the Sarafan recalling Nosgoth's early history last seen in Welcome to Hell and Vorador's Mansion (chapter) of Blood Omen and previously recounted throughout Blood Omen, in Tomb Of Sarafan (chapter) in Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver and A Reaver in Time of Soul Reaver 2 - this also foreshadows the return of Raziel and the narrative to that era.[SR2-C3][BO1-C1][BO1-C6][BO1][SR1-C7][SR2-C1]
- Vorador compares the Sarafan crusades to those of Vampire hunters, directly asserting that the mercenaries have nearly achieved their goal of exterminating the race, where the Sarafan could not - the formation, progress and ultimate victory of the army under Moebius in the Second timeline was recounted in previous chapters and was first shown in The Vampire Purges (chapter) of Blood Omen as their execution of Vorador drew their vampire purge to a close.[SR2-C3][SR2-C2][SR2-C3][BO1-C11] Vorador even laments that "Vampires meddling in the affairs of men" have brought them to this point, directly quoting his advice to a younger Kain when they met in Vorador's Mansion (chapter) - advice which Kain ignored when he traveled back in time and assassinated William the Just, ultimately giving rise to the order that would exterminate the rest of his race.[SR2-C3][BO1-C6][BO1-C10][BO1-C11]
- The legend of Janos Audron, first recounted in Seeking Revenge in Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain is once again mentioned and embellished after being recalled previously in A Reaver in Time.[SR2-C3][BO1-C2][BO1-C7][SR2-C1] Vorador reveals that Janos was his sire and that he was guardian of the Reaver - which was stolen by the Sarafan.[SR2-C3]
- Through the Swamp features the first appearances of several concepts, design elements and lore that will become important later in the game and the series in general:
- The highlighted presence of the one of Moebius's Time-streaming chambers and the high passage northward both foreshadow Raziel gaining access to the in later chapters.[SR2-C3][SR2-C5][SR2-C7]
- The Dark Forge is the first elemental forge encountered by Raziel in the series and establishes the trend of murals recounting the period Before Nosgoth's recorded history followed by some form of puzzle to imbue the Wraith Blade with elemental powers which allow Raziel to progress further. Similar forges attuned to different elements will appear throughout the rest of the series [SR2][SR2-C3][SR2-C4][SR2-C6][SR2-C8][DEF][DEF-C4][DEF-C6][DEF-C7][DEF-C8][DEF-C9][DEF-C10][DEF-C12] and passage to them can occasionally be observed prior to entry.[SR2-C1][SR2-C3][DEF-C4][DEF-C6][DEF-C7][DEF-C9]. The Dark Forge itself does not not recur though a different Dark Forge is encountered within the Vampire Citadel in the Legacy of Kain: Defiance chapter Find the Path to the Pillars.[DEF][DEF-C4][DEF-C9]
- The appearance of the Dark Reaver marks the first definitely canonical appearance of an elemental enhancement for the Wraith Blade (after the unsure appearance of the Fire Reaver of Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver[SR1][SR1-Misc]) and the first appearance of Darkness as an elemental association. The usage of the blade will be expanded in further chapters, but its first task is to unlock the sealed door barring entry to the Light forge - with this being the first elementally sealed door unlocked in this manner. The Dark Reaver will be used throughout Soul Reaver 2 to aid combat and puzzle solving and a different more permanent Dark Reaver enhancement will be obtained from a later Dark Forge in Find the Path to the Pillars in Legacy of Kain: Defiance.[SR2-C3][SR2-C4][DEF][DEF-C4]
- Completion of the Dark Forge also marks the first time the Reaver fonts have powered up and been commented upon.[SR2-C3] Prior to this the fonts had appeared throughout Nosgoth but were not explicitly mentioned or explained.[SR2-C1][SR2-C2] Raziel will continue to use them to temporarily enhance the Wraith Blade with specific elements throughout the rest of Soul Reaver 2 often as part of puzzle mechanisms.[SR2] The fonts would not carry over to further titles forcing Raziel to find more permanent enhancements - originally a deleted scene would have explained this as a result of the Elder God pulling them down to prevent Raziel using them in Legacy of Kain: Defiance (in a similar manner to his removal of the Planar portals).[DEF]
- This is the first identification of symbolic icon for Darkness, which had previously appeared on the Light forge entrance in the Great Southern Lake in A Reaver in Time and on the Subterranean Pillars Chamber platform in Decision at the Pillars.[SR2-C3][SR2-C1][SR2-C2]
- Though hinted previously in murals, Vorador is the first to definitely relate Raziel's prophetic role in the ancient prophecies. He also foreshadows later chapters by recounting Raziel's need for the guidance of Janos Audron and possession on the Soul Reaver/Wraith Blade foreshadowing their meetings in Vampire Interview in Soul Reaver 2 and Battle Kain in Legacy of Kain: Defiance. He also shows some doubt about Raziel allegiance and intentions, which he will display more clearly in their next meeting in Find Vorador in Defiance - on both occasions foreshadowing a different prophetic role and likely indicating that Vorador has realized that Raziel may be both and choose his role.[SR2-C3][SR2-C8][SR2-C3][DEF-C12]
- Raziel's relationship with the Elder God has changed tone, foreshadowing the slow loss of trust and antagonism between the two.[SR2-C3][SR2-C5][SR2-C9][DEF-C2][DEF-C13]
- Though not using Shadow Bridge activation plates yet (which are activated by the Dark Reaver) Raziel has created his first shadow bridge to solve part of the puzzle of the Dark Forge In progressing through the forge Raziel has also used the unique Sun Disk item, though similar Reflectors will be seen in later forges.[SR2-C3]
- This chapter features the débuts of the Undead Thralls which guard the forges and the Swordsmen thralls and Sorcerer thralls variants.[SR2-C3]
- Through the Swamp and the Dark forge feature a number of debuting concepts and gameplay mechanics that will be reused throughout Soul Reaver 2 and even in later titles. These include: the first Rotatable reflectors, Emblem keys, Undead and Thrall variant enemies in forges, main mural explanation highlighting ancient history, movable Reflector dishes, Sunlight and light-related puzzles, elemental Darkness, crystals sensitive to light/darkness, plot-related Wraith Blade enhancements, Reaver fonts and Sealed doors. A shadow bridge is also used for the first time, spawned by casting a shadow from an obelisk across a canyon; later Shadow bridges will rely on Dark Reaver-attuned Shadow Bridge activation plates to power them.[SR2-C3][SR2][DEF]
- Several significant murals are seen in the Dark forge and some relate to significant events and concepts in the history of Nosgoth and the forge itself:
- Repeated imagery throughout the forge depicts the Darkness symbol, relating to the elemental alignment of the forge. Reaver symbols are also prominent throughout, relating to the weapon it enhances.[SR2-C3][SR2]
- The two murals in the entrance mural room depict the war between the winged race and their adversaries in the period Before Nosgoth's recorded history. The winged race are depicted in flight and on horseback and several structures appear in the background that may represent ancient architecture and the Dark forge itself. Curiously the Reaver blade is depicted in the final image despite apparently being forged after the war; it is unclear if its meaning here is prophetic and related to the role of Vampire champion.[SR2-C3][SR2]
- Murals on the outside of the archway leading to the activation chamber feature crowds of Ancient Vampires, above these are a border of other subtle symbols , featuring dragons, Ouroboroses and other idol figures. Most prominently featured is a taller ancient vampire armed with the Reaver, who may relate to the guardian of the Reaver Janos Audron or the prophetic figure of the Vampire champion, revealed later to be Raziel.[SR2-C3][SR2][DEF] The character seems to be virtually identical to one depicted later in murals in the Air forge.[SR2-C6]
- Murals around the inside of the activation chamber also depict crowds of ancient vampires heading towards the back of the room where a single vampire is positioned flanked by two Darkness symbol-bearing gates. Though depicted as winged, the vampire bears a striking resemblance to Kain and may represent the prophetic role of the Scion of Balance.[SR2-C3][SR2]
- Repeated imagery depicts the Sun and phases of the moon, as such these may relate to the elemental association of the forge or the components necessary to complete the forge, particularly to the Sun Disk Light beams and eclipse/shadow methods used throughout the forge.[SR2-C3][SR2]
- Two murals in the sun disk room depict two figures holding clubs, apparently in conflict beneath a dark sun, with differing backgrounds; as such this image may represent the Vampire-Hylden war.[SR2-C3][SR2]
- Two murals in the reflector room depict crowds of ancient vampires at the edge of a chasm. In the spectral realm this changes, showing a bridge extending and a vampire crossing over. This demonstrates the nearby usage of a Shadow bridge.[SR2-C3][SR2]
- The Sundial room contains a mural of a humanoid man that was previously featured in the Fire Glyph Altar in Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver.[SR2-C3][SR2][SR1] The same area also features an unusual diagram of shapes, flanked by squids, which is similar to the complex triangular symbol seen at the Sunlight Glyph Altar.[SR2-C3][SR2][SR1]
- Pre-Blood Omen era
- The Swamp (location)
- The Dark Forge (SR2)
- The Sun Disk
- The Dark Reaver (SR2)
- The Subterranean Ruins
- The Subterranean Pillars Chamber
- The Pillars of Nosgoth (SR2)
- The Pillars of Nosgoth
- The Shrine
- The Great Southern Lake
- The Light Forge (SR2)
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 Prima Games / Demian Linn and David Hodgson. Prima's Official Soul Reaver 2 Guide. (2001)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The Swamp: Crystal Dynamics. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2 (Eidos Interactive). (2001) The Swamp at the Official Soul Reaver 2 site (preserved at Dark Chronicle)
- ↑ Various art and plot questions at DCabDesign (by Dubiel), post #2 (by Daniel Cabuco)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Soul Reaver 2 - Map of Nosgoth at Nosgothic Realm (by Tenaya)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Soul Reaver 2 - Map of Nosgoth at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn)
- ↑ My Visit to Crystal Dynamics at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 The Ruins in the Swamp at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)
- ↑ Vampires (Soul Reaver 2) at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)
- ↑ Soul Reaver 2 questions at DCabDesign (by Raina Audron), post #2 (by Daniel Cabuco)
- ↑ Deleted Elemental Reavers at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)
- ↑ Soul Reaver 2 - Dialogue at Nosgothic Realm (by Tenaya)
- ↑ Hide the marmosets in Legacy of Kain: Defiance?! at The Ancient's Den (by Raina Audron/Daniel Cabuco)
- ↑ Blood Omen - Map of Nosgoth at Nosgothic Realm (by Tenaya)
- ↑ Blood Omen - Map of Nosgoth at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn)
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Question and Answer with Amy Hennig at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)
Decision at the Pillars
|Soul Reaver 2 chapters|
Chapter 3: Through the Swamp
The Light Forge (chapter)