- "As the Reaver drained the forge of its vital energy, the tempest receded...
I recovered myself, and paused to admire my newly-forged weapon, now imbued with the elemental power of Air.
Thus armed, I hoped that I now finally possessed the means to escape this wasted land."
- ―Raziel — Listen (file info)[src]
Upon entering the Air forge, Raziel observed murals depicting the infliction of the Blood curse on the Ancient Vampires by the Hylden in the era Before Nosgoth's recorded history - finally unambiguously revealing to Raziel that the architects of the Pillars were indeed Nosgoth's first Vampires. Progressing further into the forge Raziel was able to reach the main 'core' chamber of the forge - a large circular room with an apparently open roof to the night sky, two large panther-like animal heads and a deep circular pit with a large open-mouthed snake at its center. The core pit had three openings half-way down and at the bottom of the core three color-coded passages led to three largely identical chambers, each containing a large colored stone head and a sacrificial altar with a mummy tied to it missing a heart.[SR2-C6]
The main objective of the Air forge was to return the Red heart, Blue heart and Green heart to their respective sacrificial mummy. This was achieved in several stages, with Raziel using the Wraith Blade, Light Reaver and Dark Reaver to unlock Sealed doors and paths to puzzle rooms which each eventually led up to a chamber where Raziel could recover the appropriate heart. When each heart was returned, the mummy was restored and the stone head briefly became animate, consuming the soul of the mummy and exhaling an updraft of Air which powered the forge and allowed Raziel to glide up to the top of the core. At the top of the forge, Raziel could use Light and Dark Reaver bolts on the respective symbols in the open mouths of the panthers, activating the main forge altar in the mouth of the snake. Imbuing the Wraith Blade with the elemental Air therein created the Air Reaver and activating all Air-affiliated Reaver fonts.[SR2-C6]
As Raziel left the forge he discovered that Reaver bolts from the Air Reaver could destroy cracked barriers[SR2-C6] and he was ultimately able to use this ability to breach the cracked door of the time streaming chamber in the Swamp and use it to reach Nosgoth's early history.[SR2-C7]
After entering the initial chamber of the Air Forge, Raziel could proceed further into the room, triggering an explanation of the murals in the chamber. From here, he could ascend the staircases in the eastern corners of the room to reach two Shade protected Light Reaver fonts on the raised eastern balcony. Defeating the shades and imbuing the Light Reaver, Raziel could proceed across the second tier to a light symbol on the floor of the platform. Standing upon this symbol and firing a Light Reaver bolt at the light symbol marked sundial construction at the end of the platform would cause light to be projected onto the door on the western balcony, causing it to dissolve into a permeable barrier. Jumping across to the western balcony, Raziel could then shift into the Spectral Realm and phase through the barrier, entering the corridor beyond.[SR2-C6][SR2]
Defeating the Sluagh and Greater Sluagh in the corridor, Raziel could proceed north to a Planar portal where he could shift back into the Material Realm and a checkpoint. Upon returning to the Material Realm, he could follow the corridor as it turned west, where he would be confronted by two combat barrier summoning Lightning demons. Once these were defeated, Raziel could proceed west to a small square chamber at the end of the corridor where Raziel would be confronted by two Sorcerer thralls and an Emblem key-bearing Greater thrall. Once the Greater thrall was defeated, the other thrall would retreat and Raziel could recover the Emblem key - using it on the nearby Air emblem door, Raziel could unlock his passage into the main chamber of the forge.[SR2-C6][SR2]
Passing a checkpoint as he entered the chamber, Raziel could proceed into the bottom of the core area where he could follow any of the curving hallways down to the heart altars beneath. Returning to the bottom of the core, Raziel could choose from three routes to complete and activate the forge:
- Climbing the Reaver-marked wall, Raziel would be confronted by a Shade in front of a sealed door. Defeating the shade and returning power to the door, Raziel could use the Material Reaver to open the door and proceed into the chamber beyond, where he was confronted by two Swordsmen thralls and a Greater thrall carrying an emblem key. Defeating the thralls, (or just the Greater thrall and causing the others to retreat) Raziel could recover the emblem key and use it in the opposite doorway to open his passage to the next puzzle chamber. Defeating or ignoring the Greater thralls in the chamber, Raziel could reach a pillar marked with the Shift Glyph on the right wall and by Shifting into the Spectral Realm, Raziel could crouch-jump onto the shift block which enabled him to reach the right balcony and a planar portal in front of a stone head, where he could shift back into the Material Realm. Defeating the Shade and imbuing the Dark Reaver at the nearby Reaver fonts, it was necessary for Raziel to activate the large stone head on the balcony, altering the direction of the Air flow across the room - by Gliding on the gust created, Raziel could be blown across to the opposite balcony. Following the route up the staircase Raziel could reach and blind a Sentry eye, allowing him to continue around to a Darkness symbol, which spawned a shadow bridge to the final heart room, on a long timer. Instead of proceeding directly to the chamber, it was necessary for Raziel to jump down to the left balcony again and follow it to the Light Reaver font, where he could defeat a shade to imbue the Light Reaver. Activating the stone heads, Raziel could once again change the air flow, allowing him to glide across to the right balcony. Following the route up the staircase, Raziel could open a Light sealed door, allowing him to reach and proceed across the shadow bridge armed with the Light Reaver. Activating the Light crystal within the darkened room lit the chamber and spawned the Blue heart. Returning the Blue heart to the blue heart altar in the main core chamber, Raziel was able to activate part of the forge and provide an Air updraft.[SR2-C6][SR2]
- Defeating a shade to imbue the Dark Reaver from the font at the bottom of the core and Climbing the Darkness symbol marked wall, Raziel would be confronted by a Shade in front of a sealed door. Defeating the shade and returning power to the door, Raziel could use the Dark Reaver to open the door and proceed into the chamber beyond, where he was confronted by three Greater thralls, one carrying an emblem key. Defeating the thralls, (or just the emblem carrying Greater thrall and causing the others to retreat) Raziel could recover the emblem key and use it in the opposite doorway to open his passage to the next puzzle chamber. Defeating or ignoring the Greater thralls in the chamber, Raziel could pass through the archway ahead, activating the Sentry eye atop it, and passing into another chamber where he would be confronted by two Greater thralls. After defeating these enemies, Raziel could proceed up to an alcove on the right wall containing a Dark font if necessary, otherwise he could proceed to the opposite alcove where a Darkness symbol allowed a shadow bridge to be activated on a short timer. Quickly crossing this bridge, Raziel could reach and pull out a block embedded in the right wall, dropping it to floor level. Re-positioning the block to the far end of the chamber underneath a Darkness sealed barrier, Raziel could climb the block and unlock the sealed barrier, opening up a small room containing a Light Reaver font. Firing a Dark Reaver bolt to blind the sentry eye before imbuing the Light Reaver, Raziel was able to return to the start of the chamber and crouch-jump up the side platform to reach the top of the archway. From here, Raziel was able to use the Air gust from the nearby head to glide across to the small heart room armed with the Light Reaver. Activating the Light crystal within the darkened room lit the chamber and spawned the Red heart. Returning the Red heart to the red heart altar in the main core chamber, Raziel was able to activate part of the forge and provide another Air updraft.[SR2-C6][SR2]
- Defeating a shade to imbue the Light Reaver from the font at the bottom of the core and Climbing the Light symbol marked wall, Raziel would be confronted by a Shade in front of a sealed door. Defeating the shade and returning power to the door, Raziel could use the Light Reaver to open the door and proceed into the chamber beyond, where he was confronted by two Greater thralls, one carrying an emblem key. Defeating the thralls, (or just the emblem carrying Greater thrall and causing the other to retreat) Raziel could recover the emblem key and use it in the opposite doorway to open his passage to the next puzzle chamber. Crouch-jumping up the far (southern) wall and Shifting into the Spectral Realm, Raziel was able avoid the bolts fired by the Sorcerer thralls and negate the effects of the headwind blown from a wall-mounted face, allowing him to glide across to the opposite balcony. Using the planar portal here to return to the Material Realm, Raziel could defeat the Sorcerer thralls present and then defeat a Shade to imbue the Dark Reaver from a nearby Reaver font. Gliding back across the chasm using the headwind, Raziel could activate the Darkness symbol, providing a shadow bridge back across the chasm on a short timer. Quickly defeating a shade and imbuing the Light Reaver at a nearby Reaver font, Raziel could cross the shadow bridge and climb the sides of free-standing arch opposite - taking advantage of the headwind to glide across to the small heart room armed with the Light Reaver. Activating the Light crystal within the darkened room lit the chamber and spawned the Green heart. Returning the Green heart to the green heart altar in the main core chamber, Raziel was able to activate part of the forge and provide the final Air updraft.[SR2-C6][SR2]
With all three hearts returned and their Air updrafts activated, Raziel was able to glide back up to the top of the core chamber, where the two dominating panther statue heads had become active. Imbuing the Light Reaver from the font at the bottom of the pit (if necessary), Raziel could fire a Light Reaver bolt at the Light symbol in the southwest panther's mouth, causing it to issue another air gust. Repeating this process on the other head, by imbuing the Dark Reaver from the fonts in the pit and firing a Dark Reaver bolt at the Dark symbol within the mouth of the northwest panther's mouth, caused it to issue another air gust - covering the central altar in the mouth of the snake with Air gusts and ultimately activating the Air Forge. Jumping to the mouth of the snake, Raziel could use the elemental Air to imbue a new Wraith Blade enhancement:[SR2-C6][SR2]
- The Air Reaver: "The Air Reaver can activate Air plinths, which are located in strategic spots throughout Nosgoth. Once triggered, Air Plinths issue a strong updraft, allowing Raziel to glide across chasms and up to higher platforms. Raziel can also use Air Reaver bolts to shatter Cracked doors and walls. Another benefit of the Air Reaver is that it allows you to travel unencumbered through the mucky swamp water."
Following the routes back to the forge entrance, Raziel found himself trapped by new obstacles. Initially, the entrance to the main forge chamber would become blocked, forcing Raziel to utilize his first Air plinth to glide over the blocked doorway and into an open hole above it allowing him to return to the entrance corridor. As he reached the other end of the corridor, the permeable barrier was replaced by a cracked doorway and by firing a Reaver bolt from the Air Reaver, Raziel was able to blast the door apart and make his way to the exit of the forge.[SR2-C6][SR2]
Players (in order of appearance)Edit
|[Raziel sees the ancient vampire murals in the Air Forge.]|
|Raziel (V.O.):||The scenes I discovered here were unambiguous...|
This race of winged beings – the architects of the Pillars, and the creators of the Reaver – were Nosgoth's first vampires.
Their blood-thirst appeared to be a curse, inflicted upon them by their vanquished enemies.
These images confirmed the truths that Kain had divulged to me, but I had been too incredulous to accept.
I struggled in vain to see how the pieces fit together...
How Kain intended to escape the dilemma of his destiny, and what role he had plotted for me...
And why Moebius, and the dark powers with which he seemed to be allied, were so desperate to see Kain dead, and so intent on me being the instrument of his execution...
|[Raziel forges the Reaver with the elemental power of Air.]|
|Raziel (V.O.):||As the Reaver drained the forge of its vital energy, the tempest receded...|
I recovered myself, and paused to admire my newly forged weapon, now imbued with the elemental power of Air.
Thus armed, I hoped that I now finally possessed the means to escape this wasted land.
|[Raziel encounters a fractured stone door –]|
|Raziel (V.O.):||This elemental Reaver, I discovered, had the power to obliterate barriers that were cracked or compromised.|
At last, I had the means to open that ruined time-streaming chamber I discovered so long ago in the swamp.
Now perhaps I could leave this wasteland, and return to an era when Janos Audron still lived.
- Raziel has definitively learned of the infliction of the Blood curse by the Hylden in the time Before Nosgoth's recorded history and has realized that the ancient blue winged race responsible for the Raising of the Pillars and the creation of the Reaver were indeed Nosgoth's first Vampires.[SR2-C6] This had previously been hinted in murals in the Subterranean Pillars Chamber and conversations with Kain in Decision at the Pillars and A Fateful Meeting.[SR2-C2][SR2-C5]
- Raziel has forged the Wraith Blade with elemental Air, creating the Air Reaver and activating all Air-attuned Reaver fonts[SR2-C6] - these will remain activated even in Nosgoth's early history.[SR2-C7][SR2-C8][SR2-C9]
- Raziel has demonstrated the use of both Air plinths and Cracked doors, and has realized that he now has the means to enter the time-streaming chamber in the Swamp.[SR2-C6][SR2-C7]
- Soul Reaver 2 is not formally divided into chapters or levels in-game.[SR2] The chapter names and definitions used at the Legacy of Kain Wiki originate from the supplementary Prima Guide, Prima's Official Strategy Guide - Soul Reaver 2
- The dialogue transcripts used in this article are, wherever possible, adapted directly from the Dark Chronicle summary transcripts available in game. Scenes not included in the Dark Chronicle feature are instead adapted from Tenaya's transcript of Soul Reaver 2 at Nosgothic Realm - itself derived from the Dark Chronicle and an official game script provided by Crystal Dynamics' Kyle Mannerberg.[SR2]
- Though the Air forge had previously appeared in playable demos, Chapter 6 marks its formal introduction as a playable location, but the area cannot be visited before, or revisited after this time.[SR2-C6][SR2] The forge does not recur in later titles, though a different Air Forge is encountered within the Vampire Citadel in Legacy of Kain: Defiance.[DEF][DEF-C6][DEF-C9]
- Several murals seen in the Air forge relate to significant events and concepts in the history of Nosgoth:
- Repeated imagery throughout the forge depicts the Air symbol, relating to the elemental alignment of the forge. Reaver symbols are also prominent throughout, relating to the weapon it enhances.[SR2-C6][SR2]
- The murals in the entrance room depict the infliction of the Blood curse on the Ancient Vampires by the Hylden in the age Before Nosgoth's recorded history.[SR2-C6][SR2] The event had previously been hinted at in the murals in Subterranean Pillars Chamber and conversations with Kain in Decision at the Pillars and A Fateful Meeting.[SR2-C2][SR2-C5]
- Similarly a repeated mural features a vampire with two faces - one calm and the other rabid and fanged[SR2-C6][SR2] - presumably relating the blood-thirsty effects of the curse, though it may also relate to the apparent differing accounts of Janos Audron.[SR2-C1][SR2-C8]
- Ouroboros symbols are placed throughout the forge in textures and murals,[SR2-C6][SR2] foreshadowing Raziel's cyclic destiny observed in the Soul Reaver 2 epilogue[SR2-C10] and later in Return to the Guardian Citadel of Legacy of Kain: Defiance.[DEF][DEF-C13]
- A mural depicting an Ancient vampire armed with the Reaver blade and is highlighted as such in cutscenes[SR2-C6][SR2] may relate to the guardian of the Reaver Janos Audron or the prophetic figure of the Vampire champion, revealed later to be Raziel.[DEF] The character seems to be virtually identical to one depicted earlier in murals in the Dark forge in Through the Swamp.[SR2-C3]
- Several murals and features hint at a sacrificial history for the Air forge.[SR2-C6][SR2] Though not conclusively explained in game, background information would confirm that the forge was conceived as a place where the Ancient vampires sacrificed their enemies (and later themselves) by feeding their souls to the Elder God; with the various stone heads representing the Elder and the three hearts representing the lifeforms of Nosgoth - The Red heart (in the Dark chamber) represents flesh and the Material Realm, the Blue heart (in the neutral/material soul reaver chamber) represents Spectral entities and the Spectral Realm, and the Green heart (in the Light chamber) represents the Hylden and Demon Realm. Much like Moebius's Staff, the large snake sculpture in the Air Forge was acknowledged to disable the hearts of Vampires, enabling them to be extracted.
- Like the earlier Dark and Light forges,[SR2-C3][SR2-C4] the Air Forge features a unique weapon variant design that is found exclusively within that forge, in this case a primitive axe weapon.[SR2-C6] A unique application of the Light Reaver is also seen in the Air Forge, where Reaver bolts from the Light Reaver can be fired at a special Engraved stone in the entrance chamber which is marked with the light symbol - this 'projects' the stone shape onto an area of the wall behind, decaying it into a gated barrier which could be phased through. Light and Dark Reaver bolts are additionally used to directly power power the Air forge by being fired at their respective symbols inside panther heads, without the need of Light crystals.[SR2][SR2-C6]
- Regardless of the order which Raziel completes the forge in, the first heart altar activated will display a cutscene showing Raziel's reaction to the released soul and his subsequent surprise as he is nearly drawn into the stone head then blown across the room by the Air updraft issued. The second and third altar activated display the same cutscene with Raziel anticipating the activation and quickly jumping down until the stone head has become inanimate again. A wrongly placed heart will cause the stone head to fire a beam at Raziel which dissolves his physical form, much like Sentry eyes. Unlike the cutscenes, in gameplay the air issued from the stone heads has no effect on Raziel and does not enhance his Gliding until he returns to the main core area.[SR2-C6]
- The Post-Blood Omen era
- The Air Forge (SR2)
- The Red heart
- The Blue heart
- The Green heart
- The Air Reaver (SR2)
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 Prima Games / Demian Linn and David Hodgson. Prima's Official Soul Reaver 2 Guide. (2001)
- ↑ Soul Reaver 2 - Dialogue at Nosgothic Realm (by Tenaya)
- ↑ Early Versions of Soul Reaver 2 at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)
- ↑ The Air Forge Demo at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)
- ↑ SR2 Air Forge and Defiance Forges at DCabDesign (by The Hylden), post #3 (by Daniel Cabuco)
A Fateful Meeting
|Soul Reaver 2 chapters|
Chapter 6: The Air Forge
On to the Past