|Soul Reaver 2 enemies|
A Swordsmen Thrall in SR2
|Introduced in||Soul Reaver 2 (2001)|
|Eras||Pre-Blood Omen era, Post-Blood Omen era|
|Territories||Dark Forge (SR2), Light Forge (SR2), Air Forge (SR2)|
|Weapons||Short swords (SR2)|
|Vulnerabilities||crouching [power] strikes, lunges|
Swordsmen Thralls were Thrall warriors encountered in Soul Reaver 2. As with other thrall variants, Swordsmen Thralls were undead warriors, re-animated and tasked with eternally protecting the sacred places of the Ancient Vampires against intrusion, rising from underground to confront Raziel as he approached. Visually, Swordsmen Thralls were green-skinned, heavily decaying humanoids. They wore a distinctive horned helmet, dark shoulder pads and gloves, and a short red kilt[SR2].
Swordsmen Thralls were the 'regular' close-quarters attacking Thrall variants. In combat they were relatively fast-moving and both defensively and evasively proficient, though they were relatively weak. Swordsmen Thralls were armed with Short swords[SR2].
Because of their role, Sorcerer Thralls were only seen in the shrines and forges sacred to the Ancient Vampires. They were first encountered in the Dark Forge in the Pre-Blood Omen era; where along with being the 'regular' Thrall variant enemy, they were sometimes seen carrying Emblem keys necessary to open special emblem doors. Swordsmen Thralls were later seen in this era in the Light Forge and were encountered in the Post-Blood Omen era in the Air Forge[SR2].
- Thralls are noted as "undead warriors" who are "charged to eternally guard Nosgoth's ancient shrines" but the method of their re-animation is not elaborated. Given the places they guard, it would seem likely that the Thralls were Ancient vampire creations, though the thralls themselves, although humanoid, do not visually appear to be Ancient Vampire remains[SR2]. In Legacy of Kain: Defiance, similar Ancient Vampire locations would be protected by Feral Humans and the similarly 'animated' statues Vampire Golems and Guardian Constructs [DEF].
- When first encountered in the Dark forge, two of the Swordsmen Thralls wield Emblem keys; in other forges, Emblem keys or Reflectors are held by Greater thralls[SR2].
- Historically, Thralls were slaves in the Viking age of Scandinavia (and the root of the word "enthrall").
- Similar "Thrall" enemies, arguably inspired by the same concept would later appear in Crystal Dynamics' Tomb Raider: Underworld, where 'Thralls' were undead enemies raised by the liquid "etir". These thralls had a notably similar appearance to Legacy of Kain thralls; with the "Viking Thralls" sharing particular traits with the Swordsmen Thralls.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Soul Reaver 2 manual. Crystal Dynamics. (Eidos Interactive). (October 31, 2001) Download.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Prima Games / Demian Linn and David Hodgson. Prima's Official Soul Reaver 2 Guide. (2001)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Bestiary: GameFAQs. Soul Reaver 2 FAQ/Walkthrough/Soul Reaver 2|Online (by Celtic Wolf).
- ↑ Prima Games / JDP and Gerald Guess. Prima's Official Legacy of Kain: Defiance Guide. (2003)