|Soul Reaver 2 enemies|
A Sorcerer Thrall in SR2
|Introduced in||Soul Reaver 2 (2001)|
|Eras||Pre-Blood Omen era, Post-Blood Omen era|
|Territories||Dark Forge (SR2), Light Forge (SR2), Air Forge (SR2)|
|Abilities||'spit' fireballs, fast moving, can retreat underground|
Sorcerer Thralls were the weakest of the Thrall variant enemies seen in Soul Reaver 2. As with other thrall variants, Sorcerer Thralls were undead warriors, re-animated and tasked with eternally protecting the sacred places of the Ancient Vampires against intrusion, rising from underground to confront Raziel as he approached. Visually, Sorcerer Thralls were green-skinned, heavily decaying humanoids. They wore a golden helmet and shoulder pads with gloves and a short red kilt[SR2].
Sorcerer Thralls were the ranged attackers of the Thrall variants. In combat they would remain at a distance and 'spit' magical fireballs at Raziel from long-range to assist their allies. When approached, Sorcerer Thralls would attempt to flee or retreat back underground; but they would attack with their claws if cornered. Sorcerer Thralls were physically weak enemies; able to absorb little damage and with weak melee attacks (though repeated fireballs could cause major damage)[SR2].
Because of their role, Sorcerer Thralls were only seen in the shrines and forges sacred to the Ancient Vampires. They were first encountered in the Dark Forge in the Pre-Blood Omen era and were later seen in the Light Forge. Sorcerer Thralls would again be encountered in the Air Forge in the Post-Blood Omen era[SR2].
- The long range 'fireball spit' attack used by the Sorcerer thralls notably resembles the Grave Spit attack used by the Human revenants in Legacy of Kain: Defiance[SR2][DEF].
- Thralls are noted as "undead warriors" who are "charged to eternally guard Nosgoth's ancient shrines" but the method of their re-animation is not elaborated. Given the places they guard, it would seem likely that the Thralls were Ancient vampire creations, though the thralls themselves, although humanoid, do not visually appear to be Ancient Vampire remains[SR2]. In Legacy of Kain: Defiance, similar Ancient Vampire locations would be protected by Feral Humans and the similarly 'animated' statues Vampire Golems and Guardian Constructs [DEF].
- Historically, Thralls were slaves in the Viking age of Scandinavia (and the root of the word "enthrall").
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Soul Reaver 2 manual. Crystal Dynamics. (Eidos Interactive). (October 31, 2001) Download.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Prima Games / Demian Linn and David Hodgson. Prima's Official Soul Reaver 2 Guide. (2001)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Bestiary: GameFAQs. Soul Reaver 2 FAQ/Walkthrough/Soul Reaver 2|Online (by Celtic Wolf).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Prima Games / JDP and Gerald Guess. Prima's Official Legacy of Kain: Defiance Guide. (2003)