The Entrance to the Smuggler's Tunnel
|Introduced in||Blood Omen 2 (2002)|
|Ownership||unknown (possibly Smugglers or Thieves)|
|Status||intact (as of post-Blood Omen era)|
|Features||secret passage between the Smuggler's Den and Lower City of Meridian|
In Chapter 1, Umah and Kain attempted to cross the bridge leading from the Slums to the Lower City, but they were spotted by a Sarafan Glyph Guard, who raised a Ward Gate, separating the two[BO2]. Unable to take Kain to the Lower City personally, Umah advised Kain that he would need to find the Smuggler's Tunnel, a secret entrance to the Lower City hidden in the Smuggler's Den, and directed him to a Cabal Contact at the Grand Hotel, who could help him enter the Den[BO2].
When Kain entered the Den in Chapter 2 Umah was able to advise Kain again on the location of the Smuggler's Tunnel (through the use of the Whisper), telling him to seek another contact in the Tavern, Who could tell Kain how to reach the tunnel. The contact informed Kain that the Tunnel was hidden in an underground cavern complex that could be entered via a lift nearby the Den's Church[BO2].
Entering the Church grounds, Kain was able to descend into an underground industrial complex[BO2]. Passing through and defeating traitor Vampire Faustus who was preventing his access to the tunnel (see also Faustus (boss)), Kain was able to emerge in the cavern containing the Smuggler's Tunnel. Crossing a ravine using his recently gained Jump Dark Gift, Kain entered the Tunnel and was able to travel onwards to the Lower City and Chapter 3[BO2], where he was congratulated by Umah for his "ingenuity in negotiating the Smuggler's Den".
- Given the name, The Smuggler's Tunnel was likely used by Meridian's black market to gain access to the main city unobserved, particularly useful with the bridge to the Slums and Smuggler's Den apparently often closed by the Sarafan. The Cabal Contact in the T&A Tavern says that the Tunnel is used and guarded by Thieves. It may also have been used by Smugglers (though they are not seen until Chapter 7:The Canyons)
- The entrance to the Tunnel complex (in a nearby church, in the Smuggler's Den) lead to an underground industrial location, which was populated by Sarafan Guards and Industrial Workers[BO2]. Evidently, the thieves' passage through to the Lower City was not without risk. It is unclear whether the name "The Smuggler's Tunnel" refers to the final tunnel (after defeating Faustus ) that led to the Lower City; or the entire underground complex from the church. Prima's Blood Omen 2 Guide uses the term to refer to only the final tunnel.
- ↑ Umah: "Kain – this way."(~Umah runs forward past an inactive Ward Gate that spans the bridge entrance. She runs near a guard who has his back to her. The guard's armor suddenly glows. This is a Glyph Guard. He swings around and shouts~)//Glyph Guard: "Vampire! Here! Close the gate!" (~The Ward Gate comes to life. Kain runs against it and is thrown backwards. The Guard goes after Umah. Umah leaps out of his way, calling to Kain.~) Crystal Dynamics. Blood Omen 2. (Eidos Interactive). PlayStation 2. (March 19, 2002) Transcript.
- ↑ Umah: "Kain – you must find a way to reach the Lower City. The Smuggler’s Tunnel will take you there." Crystal Dynamics. Blood Omen 2. (Eidos Interactive). PlayStation 2. (March 19, 2002) Transcript.
- ↑ Umah: "Go to the Grand Hotel, in the Slums. A contact will meet you there – he will tell you where to go." Crystal Dynamics. Blood Omen 2. (Eidos Interactive). PlayStation 2. (March 19, 2002) Transcript.
- ↑ Kain: "I do not require their hospitality. You spoke of a Smuggler’s Tunnel I must find?"//Umah: "Yes, it is hidden somewhere in this district, I know not where. I have sent word to a member of the Cabal to help you. You will find him at the tavern, deep within this district."//Kain: "How will I know this – person?"//Umah: "He will know you. Find the tavern quickly. We will speak again later." Crystal Dynamics. Blood Omen 2. (Eidos Interactive). PlayStation 2. (March 19, 2002) Transcript.
- ↑ Objective 1: Find the T&A Tavern "A Cabal agent will meet you at the local tavern. He's got information you need: the location of the smuggler's tunnel that will take you into the lower city." Prima Games. Prima's Official Strategy Guide to Blood Omen 2(2002). Page 16. ISBN 0-7615-3774-0
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Cabal Contact: "The Smuggler’s Tunnel you seek is hidden in a cavern underground. The thieves enter by way of the Church, outside. But there is no entrance there for any but themselves. You, sir, must go beyond the Church and find a lift. This will take you underground."//Kain: "Where, precisely, is this lift?"//Cabal Contact: "In a collapsed section of the district beyond the Church. The Church, remember sir, is forbidden to all but the thieves. The guards there will attack you, should they but lay eyes on you."//Kain: "I will be most careful." Crystal Dynamics. Blood Omen 2. (Eidos Interactive). PlayStation 2. (March 19, 2002) Transcript.
- ↑ Objective 2: Find the Smuggler's Tunnel beyond the Church "Even though you now know where it is, you'll still have to get there. Beyond the church you'll find a maze-like complex of steam pipes and machinery." Prima Games. Prima's Official Strategy Guide to Blood Omen 2(2002). Page 18. ISBN 0-7615-3774-0
- ↑ Objective 3: Defeat the Traitor Faustus "Faustus is the first of many old friends who become foes. He's doing the bidding of his master, the Sarafan Lord, trying to prevent you from reaching the tunnel. You must survive a three-stage battle in order to defeat him." Prima Games. Prima's Official Strategy Guide to Blood Omen 2(2002). Page 22-23. ISBN 0-7615-3774-0
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 "Looks like you've finally found the smuggler's tunnel that the Cabal agent told you about. Walk inside and prepare to be reunited with Umah in the lower city." Prima Games. Prima's Official Strategy Guide to Blood Omen 2(2002). Page 23. ISBN 0-7615-3774-0
- ↑ Umah: "Well done, Kain. You have already proven your ingenuity in negotiating the Smuggler’s Den. Perhaps our leader was right about you after all."//Kain: "Ah yes, the mysterious leader. Perhaps you will tell me now who he is?"//Umah: "I will not name him to you, for secrecy's sake. But it is time that you two meet. You must go to Sanctuary, our headquarters. There you will find our leader."//Kain: "Go here, go there – what do you take me for? Your errand boy?"//Umah: "You are not a general now, Kain. You are not in a position to demand. Go to Sanctuary and await me there. My orders are to investigate the Industrial Quarter in the north of the city. I will join you at Sanctuary and bring anything I discover." Crystal Dynamics. Blood Omen 2. (Eidos Interactive). PlayStation 2. (March 19, 2002) Transcript.