|The Shield Generator|
|Hylden City Areas • Hylden technology|
The Main Shield Generator technology
|Introduced in||Blood Omen 2 (2002)|
|Ownership||Hylden, Sarafan Lord|
|Status||destroyed ( as of post-Blood Omen era)|
|Features||Ovoid-shaped rotating generator, Glyph seals, Shield Guardian|
The Shield Generator, also known as a Ward Generator, is a piece of Hylden technology, seen in Blood Omen 2. It was a large Ovoid-shaped metallic object, which had several 'spikes' coming from it, which rapidly rotated whilst in use. The object apparently served to create a "magical shield" which isolated the Hylden from general discovery, by preventing teleportation to the Hylden City.
Kain was first told of the 'Shield Generator' in Chapter 9:the Device, when, after the destruction of the Device, Janos claimed that the Hylden's next plan would be an invasion of Nosgoth from their base in the Hylden City using the Hylden Gate. Janos planned to teleport the Cabal to the Hylden City, but was prevented by the "shield of magic" produced by the Shield Generator. Instead, Kain and Umah were sent to the Wharves inBetrayal (chapter), in an attempt to board a ship headed to the Hylden City. Once arrived they would be able to physically shut down the Shield Generator, enabling the Cabal to join them.
In Chapter 11: The Hylden City, Kain (minus the now deceased Umah ) made it to the Hylden City and infiltrating the complex, he was able to learn of the location of the Hylden Gate and the Shield Generator from two Slaves in the main square of the city. Making his way around the outer buildings, Kain was able to enter the 'shuttle bay' of a Floating vehicle carrying cargo, where he hid himself in the transport headed for the Shield Generator. Once across the other side, Kain emerged, finding the large Shield Generator suspended from the ceiling and protected by the seemingly indestructible the Shield Guardian . Activating several nearby Glyph seals with Telekinesis caused the supports holding up the generator to collapse, dropping the generator on the guardian, burying both in rubble and allowing Janos and Vorador to teleport to the Hylden City.[BO2]
- Neither the 'guardian' or the machinery it guards are named in-game,Prima's Official Blood Omen 2 Guide refers to them as a "Shield Generator" and "its guardian"; stage directions refer to it as a "Ward Generator".
- The Shield Generator bears a passing resemblance to the technologies seen rotating in the ceiling of the Chronoplast in Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver[SR1].
- Though the technology is referred to on several occasions by Janos as a "shield of magic".,Vorador gives what may be a more correct title for the shield when he arrives, calling it a "Ward Barrier" - possibly suggesting a connection to Ward Gates. Prima's Official Blood Omen 2 Guide also suggest this connection, simply calling the shield a "Ward Gate"
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Janos: "My plan was to teleport us to the Hylden City, and launch a final assault on the Sarafan Lord, but now I find there is some kind of shield of magic that prevents me. If we are to fight them, that shield must be destroyed." Crystal Dynamics. Blood Omen 2. (Eidos Interactive). PlayStation 2. (March 19, 2002) Transcript.
- ↑ "Back in sanctuary, Janos, Vorador, Umah and Kain discuss their options. They cannot launch an assault on the Hylden gate connecting the two worlds until its protective shield is deactivated in the wharves area. Begrudgingly, Kain takes Umah with him on this final task." Prima Games. Prima's Official Strategy Guide to Blood Omen 2 (2002). Page 78. ISBN 0-7615-3774-0
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Janos: "It must be the Hylden City. Why else would there be such interest at this time? You must take a ship to the city at once. There, you must find and deactivate the shield, so whatever forces we can bring may come to your aid, and close the Gate for all time." Crystal Dynamics. Blood Omen 2. (Eidos Interactive). PlayStation 2. (March 19, 2002) Transcript.
- ↑ Crystal Dynamics. Blood Omen 2. (Eidos Interactive). PlayStation 2. (March 19, 2002).
- ↑ Kain: "I must find the mechanism these creatures use to hide their presence in this city."//Female Human: "He can show you. Go on."//Male Human: "It is there, my lord – that building. I’ve heard them talking. The device you seek is within."//Kain: "I thank you. Now tell me, what is that?"(indicating Floating Container)//Male Human: "That is the only way to get within. The doors to the building no longer function."//Female Human: "Like so much of this place." Crystal Dynamics. Blood Omen 2. (Eidos Interactive). PlayStation 2. (March 19, 2002) Transcript.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 ~Kain is within the Hylden City and has just shut off a large Ward Generator. He receives a Whisper from Vorador:~ Vorador: (Whispers) "Kain, the Hylden City's defenses have been broached. Janos can no longer sense a Ward barrier."//Kain: "My doing. I have shut down their foul magics, at least for a time."//Vorador: "Then we are ready to help you. Janos is casting a spell that will bring us to you in moments." Crystal Dynamics. Blood Omen 2. (Eidos Interactive). PlayStation 2. (March 19, 2002) Transcript.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 "~Looks like you've found the shield generator. Unfortunately, its guardian has found you!~"//"~Quickly select your Telekinesis and use it on the Glyph Seal right in front of you. The glass barrier will protect you from the enemy's shots, but only temporarily. As soon as you've unlocked the seal, run left or right to the next one; it doesn't matter which direction you take.~"//"~Use your Telekinesis on the next Glyph Seal while standing behind the barrier. Continue along the edge of the room until you've unlocked the final two Seals. When the last Seal is broken, the machinery will collapse, destroying the Ward Gate protecting the Hylden Gate.~" Prima Games. Prima's Official Strategy Guide to Blood Omen 2(2002). Page 93. ISBN 0-7615-3774-0