|The Seer's Cottage|
A close-up view of The Seer's Cottage in Blood Omen 2.
|Introduced in||Blood Omen 2(2002)|
|Status||presumably destroyed (as of post-Blood Omen era)|
|Features||Windmills, Well, Waterwheel, Woodstore, Clifftop Pulleys, homely interior, 'backyard'|
The Seer's Cottage, also known as the Seer's Abode., or the Abode of the Witch  was a building featured in Blood Omen 2, in Chapter 7:The Canyons. It was the home of the Seer and the location of Kain's meeting with her.
The Seer's Cottage was first seen when Kain traveled to the Canyons in Chapter 7: Wild Places. Seeking the Seer's knowledge of the Device, Vorador had sent Kain to her cottage in the north of the Canyons. Kain eventually found the cottage perched on the edge of a cliff, nearby the unnamed industrial settlement and the associated Sarafan buildings.[BO2] The Cottage was a modest brick building with a wide wooden chimney and a wooden porch with a rocking chair on it. Next to the cottage, there was a small brick enclosure which housed a small waterwheel that ran from a nearby waterfall (which flowed over the cliff) and a wood store. Nearby the cottage there was also a well and a windmill. Inside, the cottage contained several 'homely' elements including a quilted bed, a small boiler, a fireplace, a ladder, a chest of drawers and table and chairs.[BO2]
Entering the Cottage, Kain met the Seer and was able to persuade the Seer that he was capable of destroying the Device. Whilst the Cottage was under attack from the Sarafan Lord and a set of (fire arrow shooting) Sarafan Archers, the Seer ordered Kain to drink her Blood, enabling him to gain the Dark Gift Telekinesis. She also teleported him to the Device, saving him from the Sarafan Lord, but did not join him. It is likely the Cottage burnt to the ground in the attack, but the fate of the Seer herself is a mystery.
- It is curious that the Seer's Cottage is so close to the nearby industrial settlement and the associated Sarafan buildings (though these buildings appear to be more isolated since bridge across the canyons fell. there are two Ward gates positioned along the trail on the way to the Seer's Cottage, though it is unclear exactly what their purpose is. Kain is the only Vampire seen around and both the Lesser demons and Humans are immune to ward gate effects.[BO2]
- The Seer's Cottage is surrounded by the bodies of several Lesser Demons, perhaps suggesting (contrary to human beliefs) that she does not control them. Later levels show the Lesser Demons serving the Hylden.
- The rocking chair on the Seer's front porch continues to rock backwards and forwards (with no-one there) through Kain's approach and the Seer's cutscene, there are also several dead birds hanging from the porch and a rope-pulley system that appears to lead down the cliff. Despite her supposed isolation, The Seer's cottage has at least four chairs inside (three seated around as table), suggesting she may occasionally have visitors.[BO2]
- The Seer's cutscene is triggered as soon as Kain attempts to open the front door. However, the cottage can be entered using cheats or some careful jumping. The Seer will then be absent from the cottage and many of the items in the room will have no collision detection (meaning Kain can walk straight through them.) There are however several 'props' of the weapons used in the 'Seer's cutscene' (Crossbows and the Soul Reaver), neither have any special properties and though this is the only time Kain can pick up a crossbow, it cannot be used.The cottage has a back door which leads out to a small 'backyard' which features only a rocky outcrop - Kain cannot re-enter the building once he has exited through this door.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Objective 1: Make Your Way to the Seer's Abode "The Seer isn't the most social of creatures. She lives far away from the city, past a wilderness that only Smugglers and Mercenaries dare to cross. Rumour has it she also created the giant bug-like creatures to kill any who dare trespass upon her lands." Prima Games. Prima's Official Strategy Guide to Blood Omen 2 (2002). Page 54. ISBN 0-7615-3774-0
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Vorador: "There is a secret way out of the city. I will show it to you. You may follow a canyon that leads north to her abode. The way will not be easy. Strange beasts roam outside the city, preying on travelers. The people call them demons." Crystal Dynamics. Blood Omen 2. (Eidos Interactive). PlayStation 2. (March 19, 2002) Transcript.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Seraphan Knight: "Name and business."//Carter: "What’s this? By thunder, every week I depart by this gate."//Seraphan Knight: "Name and business."//Carter: "Turo, bringing supplies to the garrison beyond the abode of the witch. Here is my toll. "//Seraphan Knight: "The bridge is fallen."//Carter: "Again? And they’ve not repaired it?"//Seraphan Knight: "There’s more important matters afoot. A company’s being sent out."///Carter: "The smugglers are to be destroyed at last?"//Seraphan Knight: "Smugglers? There’s worse than that infesting the roads. But now the culprits will be dealt with."//Carter: "At long last. Why pay such high tolls if they won’t keep the roads open, that’s what I say."//Seraphan Knight: "Hold your tongue! Or you may not keep it long. Open the gates, there!" Crystal Dynamics. Blood Omen 2. (Eidos Interactive). PlayStation 2. (March 19, 2002) Transcript.
- ↑ Crystal Dynamics. Blood Omen 2. (Eidos Interactive). PlayStation 2. (March 19, 2002).
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Behind the Scenes - The Canyons at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)
- ↑ (The camera cuts to outside the Seer’s house. We see the Sarafan Lord and several Sarafan archers perched nearby) //Sarafan Lord: "Bathe them in fire. Let them learn as they writhe in the flames and their bones dissolve, the futility of their actions. The vampire, and all of his kind, shall be razed from the land."//(He levels the Soul Reaver at the Seer's house and fires off a blast of energy.)//Sarafan Lord: "This world will be made pure by my hand."//(The Sarafan Lord gives a signal, and the archers launch a volley of fire arrows that rain down onto the house, setting it alight.) Crystal Dynamics. Blood Omen 2. (Eidos Interactive). PlayStation 2. (March 19, 2002) Transcript.
- ↑ Kain: "What must I do?"//Seer: "Come here. Drink. Drink my blood. Now!"///Kain: "What manner of creature are you? You are like no vampire that I have seen."//Seer: "Who I am, what I am, is of no concern to you.Time presses –He is here. Do as I tell you. If you are to destroy the device and save Nosgoth, you must drink.Agh! Good, yes, drink, my dark prince. Feel my powers coursing through your veins. You can manipulate objects already by sheer will alone. But as you were taught, you can only use this ability at close range. By drinking my blood, you will be granted the gift of Telekinesis. You will be able to manipulate objects at a great distance. And, you will be able to activate this symbol, and enter the Device." Crystal Dynamics. Blood Omen 2. (Eidos Interactive). PlayStation 2. (March 19, 2002) Transcript.
- ↑ Seer: "He has found you. Your destiny draws even closer. I will transport you to the entrance of the Device. From there, use your new-found ability to gain entrance."//Kain: "What of you, Seer? Escape with me. I am in need of allies."///Seer: "Am I your ally? My fate lies along a different path. Goodbye, Kain." Crystal Dynamics. Blood Omen 2. (Eidos Interactive). PlayStation 2. (March 19, 2002) Transcript.