Long swords were first encountered by Raziel as he traveled into Nosgoth's early history and met his first Sarafan enemies, with the short-range Sarafan warrior swordsmen using them as weapons[SR2]. The swords notably had a Sarafan symbol at the hilt of the blade[SR2].
Long Swords were a one-handed sword variant weapons; they were slower and more powerful compared to Claws; and were faster and less powerful compared to trident/halberd and axe variant weapons.[SR2]
- Like many of the weapons in Soul Reaver 2, Long Swords are not explicitly named in-game. In many guides and sources, weapons are divided by generally into one- or two-handed weapons, or into general weapon families(with the long swords a one-handed sword variant). The Long sword is labelled as "saraswrd" in game files[SR2], and as "long, ornate blades" and "long, delicate blades" in the Prima guide.
- Most of the Sarafan commanders are depicted at some point wielding the Long Sword; though only Zephon, Rahab and Raziel are armed with it when confronted in the Sarafan Stronghold in Nosgoth's early history[SR2-C9]. (Murals in the Chapter House show Melchiah, Zephon and Dumah wielding it[SR2]; as well as Malek's statue in the cloister courtyard in Legacy of Kain: Defiance[DEF] - see below).
- Despite the appearance of the Sarafan Warrior Swordsmen, the long sword does not appear in the Defiance comic, where a 'plainer' sword without the Sarafan symbol is seen in its place; the same cosmetic change happens to the Sarafan Trident wielded by Sarafan Warrior Pikemen[DEF-Comic].
- The Long Sword would not feature in Defiance, where The Reaver was the only obtainable weapon, however, its legacy would endure as the Sarafan Templars wielded similarly designed 'claymores' (perhaps implied to be longer and heavier than the long sword). The artifact Malek's Sword, depicted as wielded by the Sarafan commander Malek on a statue in the Cloister in Defiance, also seemed to be based on the Sarafan Long Sword design[DEF].
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Prima Games / Demian Linn and David Hodgson. Prima's Official Soul Reaver 2 Guide. (2001)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Soul Reaver 2 manual. Crystal Dynamics. (Eidos Interactive). (October 31, 2001) Download.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Weapons: GameFAQs. Soul Reaver 2 FAQ/Walkthrough/Soul Reaver 2|Online (by Celtic Wolf).
- ↑ Prima Games / JDP and Gerald Guess. Prima's Official Legacy of Kain: Defiance Guide. (2003)