The Fire Reaver was a temporary and entirely optional Wraith Blade enhancement seen in Soul Reaver. It could be discovered by Raziel in the Fire Forge nearby the Rahabim Pupating grounds beneath the Drowned Abbey. Once baptized in the flames of the forge, the Wraith Blade was imbued with elemental Fire, creating the Fire Reaver.[SR1]
The Fire Reaver enhancement itself manifested as an orange colored wraith blade. It was more powerful than the ordinary Material Wraith Blade, with the Fire Reaver able to stun enemies with a single strike and burning them to death with its finishing moves. The Reaver bolts of the Fire Reaver were also likely to cause enemies to ignite and burn to death within a couple of shots. The upgrade was only temporary and would be lost upon entering the Spectral Realm or Bodies of Water, or by being damaged by enemies, however it could be re-imbued again at any time by passing it through fire sources (typically bonfires) in the Material Realm[SR1].
The Fire Reaver did not carry over to Soul Reaver 2, where a similar Fire Reaver enhancement was the last gained of the wraith blade enhancements of that game[SR2]. A more permanent Fire Reaver enhancement would be featured in Legacy of Kain: Defiance[DEF].
- The Fire Reaver was the only one of the eight Reavers enhancements planned for inclusion in the original Soul Reaver 'story', that made it into the finished game.
- In early versions of Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver the Fire Reaver was a much deeper shade of red, though it is orange in the final version. It is possible that the Fire Reaver became an orange shade when the similarly colored Stone and Ariel Reavers were removed.
- As the only Wraith blade enhancement to appear in Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, the Fire Reaver also demonstrates the only explicitly demonstrated re-imbuing of a wraith blade enhancement (by passing the blade through fire). The other deleted enhancements are believed to have similar re-forging properties.
- The Fire Reaver is the only one of all the Reaver enhancements to appear in every game in the Soul Reaver arc. A temporary Fire Reaver of Ancient vampire origin would be featured in Soul Reaver 2, initially gained at a larger puzzle orientated Fire Forge and re-imbued from fire associated Reaver fonts[SR2]. A more permanent enhancement would feature in Legacy of Kain: Defiance, this time gained from a Fire Forge within the Vampire Citadel [DEF].
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver manual (UK version). Crystal Dynamics. (Eidos Interactive). (August 16, 1999) Download.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver manual (US version). Crystal Dynamics. (Eidos Interactive). (August 16, 1999) Download.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Prima Games / Mel Odom. Prima's Official Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver Guide. (1999)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 The Elemental Reavers at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)
- ↑ Beta Comparison - Gameplay at The Lost Worlds (by Raina Audron)