| Pillars of Nosgoth: magical principle|
The Dimension symbol as it appears in Legacy of Kain: Defiance.
|Introduced in||Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (1996)|
|Appearances||• • • • • •|
|Related articles||• Mind (sister principle)|
• Air (elemental predecessor)
• Light (overarching element)
• Dimension Guardian
• Pillar of Dimension
• Pillars of Nosgoth
Dimension was a sphere of metaphysical law within Nosgoth, and one of the nine magical principles harnessed and governed by the Pillars of Nosgoth. Alongside its sister principle, the Mind, it was associated with the elemental force of Air, which, in turn, was aligned with the overarching principle of Light.
The principle of Dimension concerned the distinctions between Nosgoth's Material, Spectral, and Demon Realms. The Dimension Guardians, culled by the Pillars, could perceive and shift between these planes of existence, and were charged with controlling and defining the very boundaries, consistency and form of space itself.
As a magical and metaphysical fundament, Dimension was effectively made manifest everywhere in Nosgoth, but was most prominently and saliently represented by the Pillar of Dimension, which was raised before Nosgoth's recorded history.[BO1-C9][SR2] The Pillar, like its eight counterparts, was intrinsically linked to the health of Nosgoth, and was protected by the Dimension Guardian, who served as a personification of the principle. At least three Dimension Guardians were known to exist: the original Guardian, a martyred Guardian, and Azimuth the Planer.[SR2][BO1][DEF]
The Ancient Vampires recognized Dimension as being linked to the principle of the Mind by its association with the elemental force of Air.[DEF-C6] Air itself was aligned with the elemental force of Light.[SR2] When Raziel encountered the specters of the original Dimension and Mind Guardians in the Vampire Citadel, he harnessed and absorbed their soul essence to obtain the Air Reaver.[DEF-C6]
Locations representing Dimension included Avernus Cathedral.[BO1] Items representing Dimension included the Pillar token, Azimuth's Eye, and the Balance Emblem's Dimension fragment.[BO1-Misc] Abilities representing Dimension included the power to summon demons, shifting, teleportation, the Dimension Reaver spell, and the attacks known as Spatial Rift and Blast of Distortion.[BO1-C8]
Like all of its peers, the representation of Dimension on the Pillar of Dimension changed between its Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain debut and Soul Reaver 2.[SR2][BO1][SR1] In its original form, Dimension was symbolized in the form of a transparent, partially-intangible band near the base of the Pillar.[BO1] In Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, the same Pillar simply featured a dark, blue texture.[SR1] Soul Reaver 2, and all Legacy of Kain games since, have consistently used a distinct, abstract symbol to represent Dimension, both on the Pillar band and elsewhere.[SR2][DEF][BO2] One instance of what may be an alternative symbol appears in a mural in Soul Reaver 2's Light Forge.[SR2]
The mythological relationship between the Pillars' nine magical principles and the classical elements was first suggested by a diagram seen on the main platform in the Subterranean Pillars Chamber of Soul Reaver 2, and was confirmed in Legacy of Kain: Defiance.[SR2][DEF] The Complete Guide To Legacy of Kain, Prima's Official Strategy Guide - Legacy of Kain: Defiance, and series art director Daniel Cabuco, clarified the definition of Dimension, and the roles and responsibilities of its Pillar Guardians.
- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
- Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver comic
- Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
- Soul Reaver 2
- Blood Omen 2
- Legacy of Kain: Defiance comic
- Legacy of Kain: Defiance
- Air Reaver (Defiance)
- Azimuth's Eye
- Dimension fragment
- Dimension Glyph
- Dimension Guardian
- Martyred Dimension Guardian
- Dimension Guardian (original)
- Light (element)
- Pillar of Dimension
- Pillars of Nosgoth
- Soul Reaver 2: Pillars' Platform Diagram at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn and Corpse87).
- Defiance: Raziel's Reavers at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn).
- Legacy of Kain: All Pillar Guardians at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn).
- Legacy of Kain: All Pillar Symbols at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn).
- The Pillar Glyphs at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln).
- Deleted Pillar Reaver Upgrades at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln).
- ↑ Soul Reaver 2: Background Story at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn)
- ↑ Legacy of Kain: All Pillar Guardians at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Soul Reaver 2: Pillars' Platform Diagram at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn)
- ↑ Deleted Pillar Reaver Upgrades at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)
- ↑ Prima Games / JDP and Gerald Guess. Prima's Official Legacy of Kain: Defiance Guide. (2003)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 The Players at SK: The Complete Guide To Legacy of Kain (archived at Dark Chronicle)
- ↑ Legacy of Kain: All Pillar Symbols at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn)
- ↑ Soul Reaver 2: Director's Interview - PlayStation 2 Feature at IGN (by Douglass Perry), page 6
- ↑ The Pillar Glyphs at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ So many questions at DCabDesign (by Luke27), post #11 (by Daniel Cabuco)