The Dark Reaver was an enhancement for the Wraith Blade. It was discovered by Raziel in the Pre-Blood Omen era at the start of Soul Reaver 2 as Raziel investigated the swamp and found the Dark Forge. Solving the puzzle of the forge, Raziel was able to imbue the Wraith blade with elemental Darkness, creating the Dark Reaver.[SR2][SR2-C3]
The Dark Reaver manifested as a blade with a black core and waving purple energy. The Dark Reaver could be used to activate Shadow bridges, whilst Reaver bolts from the Dark Reaver allowed Raziel to blind Sentry Eyes and pass them unseen[SR2]. As with other wraith blade enhancements in Soul Reaver 2, the Dark Reaver was only temporary and would be lost upon Shifting to the Spectral Realm, but it could be re-imbued at darkness attuned Reaver fonts[SR2][SR2-C3].
- In early builds of Soul Reaver 2, the Dark Reaver is entirely black.
- The Dark Reaver was originally intended to have several other abilities which were intended to be gained from a separate Dark Reaver augmentation. The augmentation abilities were ultimately cut from Soul Reaver 2, but would be implemented in Defiance as the Charged attack and Reaver spell of the more permanent Dark Reaver.
- Several Soul Reaver 2 promotional wallpapers depict the Pillars of Nosgoth with differing symbol designs than those ultimately used for Soul Reaver 2 and Legacy of Kain: Defiance - among them the Darkness symbol. It is likely that these were 'placeholder' symbols.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Prima Games / Demian Linn and David Hodgson. Prima's Official Soul Reaver 2 Guide. (2001)
- ↑ Weapons: GameFAQs. Soul Reaver 2 FAQ/Walkthrough/Soul Reaver 2|Online (by Celtic Wolf).
- ↑ Soul Reaver 2 manual. Crystal Dynamics. (Eidos Interactive). (October 31, 2001) Download.
- ↑ Early Versions of Soul Reaver 2 at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)
- ↑ Reaver Upgrades at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)
- ↑ The Pillar Glyphs at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)