| Pillars of Nosgoth: magical principle|
The Conflict symbol as it appears in Legacy of Kain: Defiance.
|Introduced in||Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (1996)|
|Appearances||• • • • • •|
|Related articles||• Nature (sister principle)|
• Fire (elemental predecessor)
• Light (overarching element)
• Conflict Guardian
• Pillar of Conflict
• Pillars of Nosgoth
Conflict was a sphere of metaphysical law within Nosgoth, and one of the nine magical principles harnessed and governed by the Pillars of Nosgoth. Alongside its sister principle, Nature, it was associated with the elemental force of Fire, which, in turn, was aligned with the overarching principle of Light.
The principle of Conflict concerned the constant dichotomy between peace and war in Nosgoth. The Conflict Guardians, culled by the Pillars, could incite or resolve wars or arguments, drew their powers from battle, and were charged with presiding over the precepts of change and upheaval.
As a magical and metaphysical fundament, Conflict was effectively made manifest everywhere in Nosgoth, but was most prominently and saliently represented by the Pillar of Conflict, which was raised before Nosgoth's recorded history.[BO1-C9][SR2] The Pillar, like its eight counterparts, was intrinsically linked to the health of Nosgoth, and was protected by the Conflict Guardian, who served as a personification of the principle. At least two Conflict Guardians were known to exist: the original Guardian, and Malek the Paladin.[SR2][BO1][DEF]
The Ancient Vampires recognized Conflict as being linked to the principle of Nature by its association with the elemental force of Fire.[DEF-C6] Fire itself was aligned with the elemental force of Light.[SR2] When Raziel encountered the specters of the original Conflict and Nature Guardians in the Vampire Citadel, he harnessed and absorbed their soul essence to obtain the Fire Reaver.[DEF-C6]
Locations representing Conflict included Malek's Bastion.[BO1] Items representing Conflict included the Pillar token, Malek's Helmet, and the Balance Emblem's Flame fragment.[BO1-Misc][DEF-C2] Generally, skills in battle encompassed abilities representing Conflict, as too did the Flame Reaver spell, and the specific attacks known as Call Shadows and Discord Bolt.[BO1-C4]
Like all of its peers, the representation of Conflict on the Pillar of Conflict changed between its Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain debut and Soul Reaver 2.[SR2][BO1][SR1] In its original form, Conflict was symbolized in the form of the icon for the Inspire Hate spell adorning the band near the base of the Pillar.[BO1] In Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, the same Pillar simply featured a dark, red texture.[SR1] Soul Reaver 2, and all Legacy of Kain games since, have consistently used a distinct, abstract symbol to represent Conflict, both on the Pillar band and elsewhere.[SR2][DEF][BO2] One instance of what may be an alternative symbol appears in a mural in Soul Reaver 2's Light Forge.[SR2]
The mythological relationship between the Pillars' nine magical principles and the classical elements was first suggested by a diagram seen on the main platform in the Subterranean Pillars Chamber of Soul Reaver 2, and was confirmed in Legacy of Kain: Defiance.[SR2][DEF] The Complete Guide To Legacy of Kain, Prima's Official Strategy Guide - Legacy of Kain: Defiance, and series art director Daniel Cabuco, clarified the definition of Conflict, and the roles and responsibilities of its Pillar Guardians.
- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
- Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver comic
- Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
- Soul Reaver 2
- Blood Omen 2
- Legacy of Kain: Defiance comic
- Legacy of Kain: Defiance
- Conflict Glyph
- Conflict Guardian
- Conflict Guardian (original)
- Fire Reaver (Defiance)
- Flame fragment
- Malek's Helmet
- Light (element)
- Pillar of Conflict
- Pillars of Nosgoth
- Soul Reaver 2: Pillars' Platform Diagram at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn and Corpse87).
- Defiance: Raziel's Reavers at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn).
- Legacy of Kain: All Pillar Guardians at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn).
- Legacy of Kain: All Pillar Symbols at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn).
- The Pillar Glyphs at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln).
- Deleted Pillar Reaver Upgrades at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln).
- ↑ Soul Reaver 2: Background Story at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn)
- ↑ Legacy of Kain: All Pillar Guardians at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Soul Reaver 2: Pillars' Platform Diagram at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn)
- ↑ Deleted Pillar Reaver Upgrades at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)
- ↑ Prima Games / JDP and Gerald Guess. Prima's Official Legacy of Kain: Defiance Guide. (2003)
- ↑ Legacy of Kain: All Pillar Symbols at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn)
- ↑ Soul Reaver 2: Director's Interview - PlayStation 2 Feature at IGN (by Douglass Perry), page 6
- ↑ The Pillar Glyphs at The Lost Worlds (by Ben Lincoln)
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ The Players at SK: The Complete Guide To Legacy of Kain (archived at Dark Chronicle)
- ↑ So many questions at DCabDesign (by Luke27), post #11 (by Daniel Cabuco)