| Pillar token|
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain quest item
Anarcrothe's Scales as they appear in Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain.
|Introduced in||Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (1996)|
|Classification||• Quest item|
|Obtained at||• The Pillars of Nosgoth|
|Given by||• Anarcrothe|
|Parameters||• "Repairs the Pillar of States."|
|Used at||• The Pillars of Nosgoth|
Anarcrothe's Scales, or Anarcrothe's Alchemical Scales, were a Pillar token, associated with the Pillar of States and the States Guardian Anarcrothe. They appeared in Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, used by Kain to briefly repair the States Pillar, shortly prior to his decision to refuse the sacrifice.
As the States Guardian, Anarcrothe received the Scales in his youth – they served as his gift from, and link to, the States Pillar, and enhanced his inherent abilities.[BO1-C3] The Scales could be "used to measure out unholy substances in alchemy", and may have played into the ambitious experiment which resulted in Anarcrothe's accidental scarring by "acidic energies". They were the final Pillar token dispensed by the Pillar of States before its collapse at the end of the Blood Omen era.[BO1-C12]
Following the corruption of the Pillars, the young Balance Guardian and vampire, Kain, was tasked with returning the Pillar tokens to the respective Pillars of Nosgoth.[BO1-C3] Anarcrothe became the seventh of the eight Guardians killed on this quest; he died at the hands of the Death Guardian, Mortanius, at the Pillars.[BO1-C11] Shortly afterward, Kain collected Anarcrothe's Scales and Mortanius's Death Orb, during his battle with the Dark Entity. He placed them before the corrupt Pillar of States; the Pillar accepted its offering, and was, for a moment, restored.[BO1-C12]
- This Pillar token is referred to under the name "Anarcrothe's Scales" in the Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain manual, but is instead cited as "Anarcrothe's Alchemical Scales" in the in-game inventory screen.[BO1]
- Anarcrothe's Scales and Malek's Helmet are the only Pillar tokens which Kain obtains without facing their owner in a boss battle immediately prior.[BO1]
- Like Mortanius's Death Orb, it is not actually necessary to collect Anarcrothe's Scales in the game. The two tokens only appear in the battle with the Dark Entity, and the story advances when the Entity is defeated, regardless of whether Kain picks up either of the quest items during the fight. Nevertheless, within the story, Kain does utilize the Scales, and restores the States Pillar for a time.[BO1]
- Pillar Guardians
- Pillar of States
- Pillar tokens
- Pillars of Nosgoth
- States Guardian
- Blood Omen: Tokens at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn).
- ↑ Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain miscellaneous dialogue. Silicon Knights. Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. (Crystal Dynamics). PlayStation. (November 1, 1996)
- ↑ The Players at SK: The Complete Guide To Legacy of Kain (archived at Dark Chronicle)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Soul Reaver 2: Background Story at Dark Chronicle (by Marie Tryhorn)
- ↑ Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain manual. Silicon Knights. (Crystal Dynamics). Playstation. (November 1, 1996) Download.